Howard Fights Hard but is Outlasted by Georgetown
By Michele Gee, Broadcast Journalism Major '11
Washington, DC- The Howard University men's tennis team fell to Georgetown (5-7) in a close match-up. The Bison were defeated with a final score of 4-3 at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex.
The Hoyas came out strong, winning all three doubles matches and gaining the overall doubles point. Eric Chavous and Omar Haloui were defeated at the number one doubles position by Georgetown's Michael Clarke and Andrew Bruhn (8-4). Devard Wharton and Tonique Merrell were also defeated at the number three doubles position with a score of 8-5.
The Bison struck back during singles play, winning the first three matches and taking the lead. Christopher Brown scored a 7-5, 7-5 win against Charles Caris at the number one singles position. Omar Haloui and Devard Wharton followed Brown's lead and secured victories at the number two and three singles positions.
However, the Hoyas evened up the score with wins at the number four and five singles positions earned by Casey Distaso and Alex Freidlich.
With the scored tied, Howard's own Bogdan Dzakovic and Hoya, Tim Walsh batted it out at the number six singles position. Walsh was able to clinch the victory for the Hoyas with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Dzakovic.
Georgetown University def. Howard University
Final Score 4-3
March 23, 2011
1. Clarke/Bruhn (GU) def. Chavous/ Haloui (HU) 8-3
2. Miller, Caris (GU) def. Brown/ Diggs (HU) 8-1
3. Distaso/Tomozyk (GU) def. Wharton/Merrell (HU) 8-5
1. Chris Brown (HU) def. Charles Caris (GU) 7-5, 7-5
2. Omar Haloui (HU) def. Andy Bruhn (GU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Devard Wharton (HU) def. Bryan Miller (GU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Casey Distaso (GU) def .George Diggs (HU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alex Friallich (GU) def. Eric Chavous (HU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Tim Walsh (GU) def. Bogdan Dzakovic (HU) 6-3, 7-5