Bison Nab a Victory Against Morgan State
By Michele Gee, Broadcast Journalism Major '11
Baltimore, MD- Howard University Men's tennis program proved to be too much for Morgan State University to handle this past Saturday. The Bison defeated the Bears with a final score of 5-2 in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Bison got out to a slow start. Eric Chavous and Omar Haloui struggled at the number one doubles positions, losing to Morgan State's Eric Ward and Kevon Charles (8-2). Christopher Brown and George Diggs also had a difficult time, losing with a score of 8-2 at the number two position.
Although the Bison lost the overall doubles point, they made a huge comeback at the start of the singles match-ups. Louisiana native, George Diggs, had a straight sets victory against Morgan State's Duwane Thomas. Junior, Eric Chavous pulled out a tough three set win against Aaron Benjamin at the number five singles position.
Victories at the number one and three singles spots put the Howard University Bison on top. They were able to triumph with a final overall score of 5-2.
Howard University 5, Morgan State University 2
1. Charles/Ward (MSU) def. Haloui/ Chavous (HU) 8-3
2. Chekhlatyy/Benjamin (MSU) def. Brown/Diggs (HU) 8-2
3. Thomas/Tash (MSU) def. Wharton/Merrell (HU) 9-7(4)
1. Christopher Brown (HU) def. Eric Ward (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Omar Haloui (HU) def. Kevon Charles (MSU) 6-2, 7-6(2)
3. Devard Wharton def. Dmitry Chekhlatyy 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. George Diggs (HU) def. Duwane Thomas (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Eric Chavous def. Aaron Benjamin (MSU) 2-6, 6-4,7-5
6. Jannick Tash (MSU) def.Bogdan Dzakovic (HU) 6-3, 6-3