People with diabetes should periodically monitor their levels of glucose in the blood to avoid suffering adverse symptoms such as hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia. Thus, endocrinology has discovered the ideal blood glucose level for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus .
Glucose is the main sugar that is in our blood and that is capable of providing energy to the body. This is obtained through food with consumption of fruits, vegetables, bread or dairy products . A correct balance of our diet can help us prevent certain risks in case we suffer from diabetes.
Diabetes is a disease that affects the percentage of sugar in the blood. Sugar is the body's main source of energy and this disease prevents it from feeding the organs and muscles well. There are three types of diabetes:
- Mellitus type 1: common in young people under 35 years and adolescents. It is a hereditary disease.
- Mellitus type 2: appears in older or younger people with high risk factors. Its causes are many, but among the most important are obesity, overweight and sedentary lifestyle.
- Gestational diabetes: occurs in pregnant women, after a week 20 of gestation. Overweight and obesity are the main risk factors for presenting it.
Correct glucose levels
In this sense, we must be very attentive to our blood glucose levels , since the levels High blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia) can be a sign of diabetes, or conversely, low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia) can also cause serious medical problems.
Among the most common symptoms of high levels of glucose in the blood are:
- Urinate frequently
- Blurry vision
- Less healing capacity
For its part, the main symptoms of low glucose levels are:
To avoid these episodes, it is advisable to always keep our blood glucose levels under control. Thus, these are the levels in which we must have glucose:
- Fasting blood glucose level below 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg / dl) is considered normal .
- Fasting blood glucose level between 100 and consider prediabetes .
- Fasting blood glucose level in 126 or higher indicates type 2 diabetes .